Monday 9 June 2008

Security tab missing in XP

I was troubleshooting an annoying problem on my PC when I ran into another annoying problem. Whenever I wanted to check access rights to a specific folder, there was no "Security" tab available. Kind of makes it hard to determine whether the account has the proper permissions.

Here's how to solve it:

1) Open up Windows Explorer.
2) Tools -> Folder Options -> View
3) All the way at the bottom of the listbox under "Advanced settings", ensure “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” is not checked.
4) Click OK, and check permissions at will.

(I can see why simple file sharing is recommended by default, but some form of indication would have been nice).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You said "1) Open up Windows Explorer.
2) Tools -> Folder Options -> View
3) All the way at the bottom of the listbox under "Advanced settings", ensure “Use simple file sharing (Recommended)” is not checked.
4) Click OK, and check permissions at will."

I am having the same issue, but in xp home there is no "use simple file sharing" check box...???