Sunday 7 October 2007

A strange error...

It's been a while since my last post. That is mostly due to trying to actually get the website as a whole working.

We planned on going beta last weekend, but illness and distractions (in the form of LOTRO) put a stop to that.

To top things off, I've been worrying about the forums. Our potential members are used to the vBulletin forums, and the current TBH forums are nothing even remotely like it. Heck, there's no subforums, and not even the ability to send one another private messages. In itself, that shouldn't be too hard to implement, but one also should take into account that just building it is not going to cut it.


The end-user will also demand to actually use the functionality, and vBulletin has all that conveniently located.

So for now, I'm undecided where to go. I downloaded a free forum coded in C# yesterday, courtesy of Frans Bouma, that I will give our beta users to test. I also can try just buying vBulleting, and then writing code to integrate the users from my site into the forum databases (which is mySql). As a third alternative, I can try and code things myself, and see if other TBH users are interested as well in adding functionality.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, I came across a particular error today:

"Error 110 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. C:\...\EntropiaOnline\forumsbck\web.config 56 "

Never seen it before, but what happened is that yesterday I changed some code. In order to ensure I'd not lose anything, before I overwrote the code on the actual site, I grabbed the code I was going to replace, and put it in a local subfolder of my website.

Due to there being a web.config file in it as well, I started getting the error. The solution was to remove the newly created folder from the project-folder. The error is caused by having duplicate web.configs in subfolders, that are not "registered" in Visual Studio (by registered, I mean you did not add the folder itself to the project).

No comments: